Hysterectomy Procedure in San Ramon, CA
Hysterectomy is recommended for a patient for various different reasons, but whatever the reason, the physicians at FCPP San Ramon will provide you with skilled care when it comes to your hysterectomy procedure in San Ramon. This surgery to remove the uterus may be done for one of several different reasons, including:
- Uterine fibroids that cause pain, bleeding, or other issues
- Uterine prolapse
- Cancer of the uterus, cervix, or ovaries
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Chronic pelvic pain
During a hysterectomy, the surgeon will remove just part of the uterus, or the entire uterus, depending on the reason for surgery. The type of hysterectomy is classified based on what has been surgically removed:
- Supracervical or subtotal hysterectomy: Removes the upper part of the uterus, keeping the cervix in place.
- Total hysterectomy: Removes the entire uterus and cervix.
- Radical hysterectomy: Removes the whole uterus, tissue on the sides of the uterus, cervix, and top part of the vagina.
There are different approaches to hysterectomy, depending on the reason for the hysterectomy, and the patient’s overall health. The type of surgical method used will have an impact on healing time and whether there is scarring after the operation. The types of hysterectomy procedures include:
- Open surgery: An open abdominal hysterectomy is the most common type of hysterectomy surgery. An incision is made in the abdomen and the uterus removed through this incision. The patient will need to spend a couple of days in the hospital following this procedure, and will have a visible scar after the incision has healed.
- Laparoscopic surgery: This minimally invasive surgery is performed with a laparoscope, a tube with a lighted camera and surgical tools that are inserted through very small incisions.
- Vaginal hysterectomy: During this procedure, the surgeon makes a cut in the vagina and removes the uterus through this incision. The incision is then closed, and there is no visible scar.
If you need a hysterectomy in San Ramon, the experienced physicians at FCPP San Ramon will provide you with the highest level of care. Call us today at (925) 587-4808 to schedule a consultation to go over your options for surgery and what to expect.