Treatment of Menstrual Disorders in San Ramon, CA
Our women’s health physicians at FCPP San Ramon provide treatment for menstrual disorders in San Ramon, helping our patients to minimize or even eliminate the inconvenient symptoms they experience prior to or during their menstrual periods. Heavy bleeding, missed periods, and severe mood swings are some of the most common symptoms that women experience as a result of menstrual disorders, and our physicians are dedicated to helping treat these symptoms so that pre-menstruation and menstruation are less disruptive times in their lives.
The most common menstrual disorders include:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding: Menstrual bleeding is considered heavy if it interferes with normal activities. This condition can occur at various stages of life, and can be caused by hormonal imbalances, structural abnormalities in the uterus, side effects of a medication, complications from an IUD, fibroids, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, infections, or precancerous conditions of the uterine lining cells.
- No menstrual bleeding (amenorrhea): Primary amenorrhea is typically diagnosed if a patient has not had her first menstrual period by the age of 16. This can be caused by problems with the endocrine system or low body weight associated with eating disorders, excessive exercise, or medications. Secondary amenorrhea is diagnosed if a patient has had regular periods that suddenly stop for three months or longer. This can be caused by problems affecting estrogen levels, including stress, weight loss, exercise, or illness, or can be caused by problems that affect the pituitary gland or thyroid, or if the patient has had an ovarian cyst or had their ovaries surgically removed.
- Severe menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea): While most women have experienced menstrual cramps before or during their period, for some women these cramps can be especially painful and persistent. The cramps can also be accompanied by diarrhea or an occasional feeling of faintness, and this condition can be disruptive to the woman’s day-to-day life.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS): About 30 to 40 percent of women experience PMS symptoms that are severe enough to disrupt their lives. These symptoms are more severe and disruptive than the normal premenstrual symptoms that a large majority of women experience. There are hundreds of documented symptoms of PMS, both physical and emotional, with the most common symptom being depression. Symptoms typically appear around five to seven days before menstruation, and resolve once menstruation begins, or soon after.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD): PMDD is more severe than typical PMS, affecting about 3 to 8 percent of all women. Women who experience this disorder report that it significantly interferes with their lives, with the main difference between PMS and PMDD being a migraine rather than a mild tension headache. The most common symptoms are heightened irritability, anxiety, and mood swings.
The knowledgeable women’s health physicians at FCPP San Ramon can provide diagnosis and treatment for menstrual disorders in San Ramon so that you can resume a more regular lifestyle that isn’t severely disrupted by your menstrual period. Call us today at (925) 587-4808 to schedule an appointment.